Happy Birthday to the Queen!
For over 260 years, the Queen’s official birthday has been celebrated in the second week of June, and tomorrow marks her official 95th birthday! Traditionally the date is observed with Trooping the Colour, a parade in which the Queen inspects soldiers from the Household Division, but this year will see a smaller scale version of the event.
However, just because official ceremonies may not be as grand doesn’t mean you can’t go all out! And we’re pretty sure the Queen would include her corgis in the celebrations, so our Creative Manager, Sophie has come up with a royal birthday pup-cake that’s easy to make and share with your own pooch:
Ulti-mutt Dog Birthday Cake
45g natural peanut butter
30 mL vegetable oil
70g shredded carrot
130g whole wheat flour (may use plain if you don’t have whole wheat)
1 tsp baking powder
80mL milk, or water
300g potatoes, peeled & cut into chunks
2 Tbsp natural yoghurt
1. Boil the potato chunks until soft.
2. Put the boiled potato in the blender with the yoghurt and whizz until completely smooth, like cake frosting.
3. Transfer to a bowl, and put it in the fridge until your cake is ready to ice.
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
2. Grease & line two small, round cake tins, approximately 10cm across. However, if you only have regular sized tins, just double the mixture to make a larger cake!
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, peanut butter, oil and honey.
4. Pat dry the shredded carrot with kitchen roll to remove excess moisture, then add to the bowl and mix together.
5. In a separate bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together.
6. Slowly add & stir in the flour mixture. Avoid over mixing as this can make the sponge go hard!
7. Transfer the mixture into the cake tins and bake in the oven for 14-18 minutes.
8. Test the cakes with a skewer or knife, if it comes out clean that means they’re done!
9. Wait for the cakes to cool completely before you ice them with the potato frosting, and decorate how you wish! We added flowers from the gardens to ours.
10. Present to your very happy doggo!
It’s sure to be a paw-ty pleaser!